8.18.2010

Chester, the cockroach: A family reunion




Chester, our beloved Cockroach, has in the last seven days.... multiplied. And not just by two.


One evening last week, Alex and I were leaving for our night walk when we noticed more than one dark shape below our doorstep. There were three. Chester had, apparently, invited his two brothers over for a little family get together.
We turned the outside light on.


And all their children. I kid you not; there were too many baby cockroaches to count.


Evidently, Alex had noticed this surplus of cockroaches the night before, but had neglected to tell me. I think he was trying to protect my ability to sleep at night. At night -- when all the cockroaches come out to chill in front of our apartment.


We talked to our landlord about it, and apparently this is a seasonal thing. The cockroaches never come inside (they would have a flight of stairs to make it up anyways), and he would spray for them soon.


All I know is tonight when we returned from our walk (which was a different walk then we had left for the week before), one of Chester’s brothers tried to chase me through the grass. I screamed like a maniac, jumped up the stairs, open the door, slammed it and left Alex outside to fight them off for me.


Not really. But I did scream and jump, just as I had earlier in the night when I saw a cricket. My poor husband.


Chester, I understand your desire to host your family party on our doorstop. You are, after all, a butler, and hosting must be one of your primary joys in life. But your brothers are a little wild, and the kids are over-running the place. The fun needs to stop. Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment