3.10.2011

A new favorite

When searching for the perfect weeknight dinner, I have three criteria -- I would like for it to be healthy, it is great when it is relatively easy or speedy, and of course, it had better taste good. The below recipe meets all of these criteria, plus I think the cost of the ingredients is about $10 (depending on whether the chicken is on sale).  I love the flavor of the mango, the spicyness of the jalapeno, and how juicy the chicken stays from the steaming process. The first time I made this I added bell peppers, the second time I threw in some green beans -- you can add any vegetable you have on hand. I serve mine over brown rice, and add some fresh cilantro for extra flavor.


Chicken with Mango and Ginger

1 large mango, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/4-inch wedges
8 chicken cutlets (about 1 3/4 pounds total)
1 piece fresh ginger (1 inch), peeled and cut into matchsticks
1/3 cup fresh cilanto leaves
1 medium jalapeno, thinly sliced
Course salt and ground pepper
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
Lime wedges, for serving

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place mango wedges in center of four 18-inch-long pieces of parchment (I used tin foil: it worked fine). Top with chicken, ginger, cilantro and jalapeno. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle each with 2 teaspoons oil. Fold parchment into a twist or envelope shape.

2. Place packets on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until packets are puffed up and chicken is cooked through, 18 to 20 minutes (mine took 25 minutes). Serve with lime wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment